Prep Time: 10-15 mins | Serves: 4
Large knob of butter or 1 tbsp. oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp. dried thyme or rosemary
2 tsp. plain flour
1 tbsp. tomato puree
1 of your favourite stock pot, mixed with 400ml boiling water
1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
½ tsp. mustard powder or fresh mustard
1 tsp. yeast extract
- Place the butter, onion and thyme into a small saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Once the onions are soft, stir in the flour and tomato puree and cook for 30 seconds.
- Next, gradually add the hot stock a little at a time, whisking continuously.
- Whisk in the balsamic vinegar, mustard and yeast extract and continue cooking over a medium heat until the gravy thickens.
- Serve alongside a Pukka pie, mash and your favourite veggies for a tasty, hearty and wholesome meal.
You can use fresh herbs instead of dried.
You can miss out the vinegar & mustard and still have a tasty gravy.