Prep Time: 1 hour 15 mins | Serves: 4
- 150g butter
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 6-8 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 450ml chicken or beef stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°c
- Using half the butter, fry the sliced onions with the thyme and a little salt and pepper until golden brown, stirring continuously
- Grease a small, oven-proof dish with more butter and add all the sliced potatoes. Season well before adding the onion mixture
- Level out the potatoes in a single layer and cover with the stock. Dot the remaining butter around the dish and season with extra pepper. Then, add a sprig of fresh thyme
- Bake for approx. 1 hour, or until the potatoes are crisp on top and soft underneath
Try adding diced smoked bacon into the potato layers.
You can replace the potato with Celeriac for a super tasty vegetable dish.