Prep Time: 30 mins | Serves: 6
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 500ml milk
- 100g cheddar cheese
- 1 heaped tsp. of mustard or ½ tsp mustard powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 head of broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 small head of cauliflower, broken into florets
- 50g stale bread, roughly chopped or 25g breadcrumbs
- ¼ tsp dried or fresh rosemary if liked
- Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200°
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over a low heat, then stir in the flour and cook out for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the milk a little at a time to the saucepan, whisking continually to incorporate each time you add more milk. Continue whisking over the heat until thickened and smooth.
- Add the cheese and mustard to the sauce and whisk again, then season to taste with salt and pepper, remove from the heat and leave to one side.
- Cook the cauliflower and broccoli in a large pan of boiling water for 3 minutes, strain into a colander and place into a medium oven proof dish.
- Meanwhile, place the bread and rosemary into a processor and pulse until you have a fine bread crumb consistency. (or finely chop)
- Pour the cheese sauce over the veggies, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and drizzle with a little olive oil. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bubbling.
- Serve alongside a Pukka pie for a tasty, hearty and wholesome meal.
Don’t forget to use the young cauliflower leaves and the stalks of the broccoli & cauliflower just peel them and slice into coins.
Lots of vegetables taste great in a cheese sauce such as leeks, cabbages, onions & root vegetables, get creative and try some swaps!