Prep Time: 40 mins | Serves: 4
2 large Sweet or White potatoes (roughly 350g each)
1 tbsp. butter, Margarine or oil
100g mushrooms, finely sliced (not essential)
70g green or white cabbage, finely shredded
2 heaped tbsp any type of onion, finely sliced
60g grated cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°
- Pierce the potatoes several times with the point of a sharp knife and microwave on full power for 10 minutes (turning halfway through), or until tender
- Fry the mushrooms until they are nutty brown in colour. Next, add the cabbage and onions and continue cooking until soft.
- Cut the cooked potatoes in half lengthways (being careful as they will be hot) then scoop the flesh out into a small mixing bowl.
- Mash the potato with a fork until smooth, then add the vegetable mixture, half the cheese and mix everything together to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the potato skins onto a baking tray, then spoon the sweet potato mixture back into the skins and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Bake in the oven for 15-20 mins or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
- Serve alongside a Pukka pie for a tasty, hearty and wholesome meal.
You can turn this recipe into bubble and squeak cakes using left over mash by just adding the veggies and cheese into the mash shaping into small cakes and baking with a brush of oil on top to go golden brown!